Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Bear class with Leah Goddard

I had the opportunity to join a wonderful 5 day class at Treeline taught by Leah Goddard. Leah gave students the option of carving either a bear or a squirrel and of the 7 students, 6 of us chose the bear. We started Monday morning carving the rough-out and by Tuesday afternoon were ready to begin woodburning. The detail on this bear is the result of 18 hours of wood burning. I still have a burned spot on the end of my finger.........ouch! I registered for the class to learn Leah's techniques for texturing animal fur and I wasn't disappointed. We were kept busy on Friday painting many layers to achieve the realistic effect.

Leah is an outstanding instructor and lots of fun in class. The 5 days passed quickly and I am very pleased with my finished project.

The real joy of the week was spending time carving with my friends and sharing a lot of laughs. I think we all went away with a great project.

1 comment:

Joan-marie said...

Oh those mountains! I forgot how beautiful. (The bears are great too).